Posted: Oct 30, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 0 – MIT 3 (11-25, 26-28, 13-25)
RECORDS: Wheaton (22-10, 5-5 NEWMAC) – MIT (25-4, 9-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The 7th seeded Wheaton College women's volleyball team fell to the No. 2 seed and host MIT Engineers in the quarterfinal round of the 2018 NEWMAC Volleyball Championship this evening at Rockwell Cage. The Lyons finish the season at 22-10 overall, while the Engineers move on to the semifinal round of the tournament on Thursday, October 1.
- MIT took the first set with a 25-11 victory that saw five kills from Abby Bertics and 4 from Shea Landeene. Casey Dinga and Maggie Shafer recorded four digs each while Adara Hamilton, Claire Cansler and Haley McCreight notched two kills apiece to account for 6 of the team's eight.
- A thrilling second set ended in a 28-26 victory for MIT that included 10 ties and eight lead changes. McCreight led the Lyons with six kills, while Becca Houghton penciled in 17 assists. Shafer and Cat MacGregor registered 11 and seven digs each.
- Wheaton held on to a two point lead through 9-7, but MIT tied the score at 9-9 with a kill from Hannah Grupe. The Engineers eventually built up an 18-15 lead before four consecutive points for Wheaton gave the Lyons a 19-18 edge. From there the set would be a close race with multiple ties; knotted 26-26, MIT took the final two points to claim the 2-0 match advantage.
- The Engineers claimed the match with a 25-13 set three victory. Set three's start was a close one, as Wheaton pulled within one at 9-10 with an MIT service ace. MIT pulled away and built their largest lead of the set at 23-12 before scoring the final point with a Bertics kill.
- MIT's Bertics led all players on the court with 19 kills, while McCreight paced the Lyons with eight. Houghton registered 20 assists, second only to Christina Lao's 30. Carly Carnevale recorded a game-high 20 digs, with Shafer registering 15.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .017 – MIT .286
- Service aces: Wheaton 2 – MIT 6
- Digs: Wheaton 45 – MIT 57
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 – MIT 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 4 – MIT 6