Posted: Aug 30, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Pratt 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-21)
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC) – Pratt (0-1)
LOCATION: Brooklyn, N.Y. (BAF)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team opened the 2019 season and the NYU Tournament with a 3-0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-21) win over Pratt Saturday evening.
- Wheaton was led by 14 kills from junior Julia Palomba who finished with a .304 attacking percentage, while also producing two aces. First-year Bailey Madrzyk finished the night with six kills.
- Becca Houghton came up with 13 assists in just two sets, while Hannah George opened her Wheaton career with eight assists.
- The Lyons dominated the opening set, finishing with 12 kills on just 19 attempts (.526) while holding Pratt to just eight kills. After opening the set fairly even, the Lyons jetted ahead, taking a 16-8 lead on a Pratt error. Wheaton continued to force Pratt errors while receiving points from Kyra Mattera, Palomba, and Adara Hamilton.
- Wheaton captured a quick 10-4 lead in the second set, but Pratt battled back, tying the set at 12-12. Wheaton rallied, earning the next four points while holding Pratt to just six points the rest of the way.
- The final set once again saw the Lyons take a commanding lead at the start (10-2). However, this time the Lyons would hold onto the lead despite a set ending rally from Pratt.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .234 / Pratt .100
- Service aces: Wheaton 10 / Pratt 6
- Digs: Wheaton 26 / Pratt 23
- Block solos: Wheaton 1 / Pratt 0
- Block assists: Wheaton 0 / Pratt 10