Posted: Sep 24, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Wellesley 3 (25-23, 25-19, 25-19, 25-16)
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-5, 1-1 NEWMAC) – Wellesley (9-3, 3-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Wellesley, Mass. (Dorothy Towne Fieldhouse)
- The Wheaton College volleyball team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Tuesday night, falling on the road to the Wellesley Blue.
- Wheaton got 12 points from first-year Bailey Madrzyk, while junior Julia Palomba chipped in nine.
- Becca Houghton passed the 3,000 assist mark during the course of the contest, dishing out 29 assists. The senior now sits at 3,010 assists in a career, which ranks her fourth all-time at Wheaton. Houghton also moved into second all-time in aces (250) during the game after finishing the night with three.
- Wheaton seized control of a back-and-forth opening set to jump ahead 1-0 in the match. With the score tied 22-22, the Lyons scored three of the next four points, ultimately winning the set on a Blue service error.
- Wellesley jumped ahead 6-2 in the second set and held the lead for the rest of way to tie the match, 1-1.
- Wheaton put Wellesley in an early 5-1 hole in the third set but the Blue used an 11-0 run to regain control of the set and ultimately the set.
- Wellesley closed out the night with a 25-16 victory.
- Attacking percentage: Wheaton .024 / Wellesley .207
- Service aces: Wheaton 8 / Wellesley 10
- Digs: Wheaton 53 / Wellesley 47
- Block solos: Wheaton 2 / Wellesley 2
- Block assists: Wheaton 10 / Wellesley 12