Posted: Oct 27, 2018
LOCATION: Northampton, Mass. (Smith College)
- The Wheaton College women's cross country team competed in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Championship Saturday afternoon hosted by Smith College.
- The Lyons finished in eighth place out of 11 teams after earning 207 points. The MIT Engineers won the championship, while WPI took second, Coast Guard third, Wellesley fourth, and Smith fifth. Mount Holyoke left with sixth place and Babson finished in seventh. Rounding out the field was Springfield in ninth, Clark in 10th and Emerson in 11th.
- First-year Katherine Leckbee picked up her first award of her career, earning NEWMAC All-Conference honors after finishing in 17th place out of 149 runners with a time of 20:07.
- Rebecca Miceli was the next Lyon to finish, taking home 49th place with a time of 21:12.
- First-year Emma Yount was the third Wheaton runner to cross the finish line, doing so a hundredth of a second behind Miceli.
- Allie Demers finished closely to her teammates, finishing in 21:19, which earned her a 56th place finish.
- Rounding out the top-five for Wheaton was sophomore Katie Brown who finished the race in 21:39.
- Following the meet, Yount was named to the NEWMAC All-Sportsmanship team. The NEWMAC All-Sportsmanship Team is intended to recognize one student-athlete from each team, in every sport that best demonstrates the ideals of the NEWMAC and its Code of Conduct, regardless of his/her overall performance or statistics for the season.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 10 at the New England Regional Championship which is being hosted by Bowdoin at 11 a.m.